eStablished in 1925
Harmon Playfield was established in 1925 as Paragould's first park. The park was made possible through the endowment from the Harmon Foundation, a national foundation created by William Harmon, a New York philanthropist, to endow parks in small towns. Mrs. Belle Hodges Wall, then president of the Chamber of Commerce, made contact with the Harmon Foundation and presented Paragould's qualifications in seeking a grant.
A representative from the foundation visited Paragould, selected a site for the park, purchased the land in the name of William Harmon, and deeded fifteen acres to the city. The deed reads, "For use as a playfield." With this wording, and the park being made possible through Mr. Harmon's generosity, the park became known as Harmon Playfield.
A permanent monument was erected on the site and remains at the entrance to this day. This is very fortunate considering that there were other markers at the park that did not survive the years. The old Paragould High School football field is next to the park and is used and maintained by the Boys Club. Citizens can exercise by walking on the track.
Harmon is a well shaded and pretty park. The building on-site has been renovated and a kitchen was added. We also are proud of the Paragould Civitan ADA Park. This park was made possible in part by a grant received from the Arkansas Department of Parks & Tourism. This park allows families who have children with disabilities the opportunity to enjoy the playground in a safe and fun atmosphere.
CIVITAN INCLUSIVE PARK (hANDICAP ACCESSIBLE)
The Harmon Playfield building is available to rent for parties, reunions and meetings. The rental is $75 per day and a $50 deposit is required at key pickup. Rental hours are 8 AM – 12 midnight. Call 239-7530 for rental information.